Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Thanks, but no thanks?

The Fed-Ex man came today. He told me what I already knew:
I am not good enough for a PhD program.
However, if you pass my application down to the Master's people, I am apparently good enough for Columbia. They accepted me into their Master's program for East Asian Languages and Cultures. I am not particularly excited about this offer.
I like lists, so let's list why:

1. PhD students get six years of free education. MA students get a $60,000 bill.
2. NYC: big, expensive, noisy, city
3. I just looked at the course listings. 80% of their Japan-related classes are not being offered in 2005-2006. This is a two year program; when I am I supposed to learn stuff?

So the question is: Do I accept this gracious offer, despite the massive debt, because it is someplace to go and something to do? Or do I refuse it and wander aimlessly for another year while applying to other Master's and fellowship programs?

I have until June 1st to decide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hump that! you are better than an expensive blow my elbow crap hole masters program that doesn't teach you a monkey from your baby toe. you'll learn more traveling the world. end of story. oh yeah, and you'll have more fun adventures invloving booze, nudity and monkeys.