Friday, March 18, 2005

Pollen problems

The Japanese word for sneeze is kushami. It sounds so perfectly like the action it describes, doesn't it? I decided to try to study Japanese more, so I've be reading some newspaper articles. The one I read yesterday was about kafunsho, pollen allergies. Since who knows how long ago, the Japanese have been replacing logged forests with symmetrically placed ceder trees. While they look and smell nice, they have also caused a nationwide problem of epidemic propertions in allergies. Starting around now and continuting until fall, people will check the pollen report on the news and wear a mask, or not leave their house, accordingly. This year the pollen count is predicted to be three times higher than last year, the highest ever. I sincerely hope that I do not spontaneously develop an allergy, as I have heard happens. Please oh please, I want to be able to breathe.

No comments: