Thursday, March 03, 2005

Re-Entry

The China extravaganza is over. Three weeks in the People's Republic of China, the Middle Kingdom. I have lots to tell and over three hundred pictures to share. But I must leave for Tokyo in two hours, so let it suffice for now to say that I had a great time, but I am glad to be back.

The Four Best Things About China:
1. Sunrise from Lotus Peak at Huangshan (Yellow Mountain)
2. Buddhist cave carvings from 1500 years ago, many still with colors
3. Thousands of terracotta warriors standing as they were placed 2500 years ago
4. Incredibly cheap living: trains, food, DVDs, hotels...

The Four Worst Things About China:
1. Maybe I'm used to overly-polite Japanese people, but Chinese people are downright rude
2. Dirty, dirty, smoggy, trash everywhere
3. Can't drink the water
4. The incredible difference in lifestyle between Shanghai and the rural areas

No comments: