Thursday, June 16, 2005

Welcome to Japan

As a rule, I don't like tourists in my country. I am generally a nice, helpful person, but when I see map reading, non-Japanese speaking, group traveling tourists on the streets of my city, I smirk and avoid. Why? I can't answer this specifically, but I believe it has something to do with the fact that most English speaking travelers feel that they can go anywhere and be just fine with their wonderful knowledge of English. I don't condone the absolute intrusion and interference into normal citizens' lives that pushy tourists bring.

This is my attitude.

However, I reserve the right to modify my attitude when my non-Japanese speaking friends come to visit. I will reconsider the points that make other foreigners odious to me. If they have a Japanese speaking guide, it's okay for them to be here. It they travel in groups of less than three, I won't rudely ring my bike bell at them to clear the sidewalk. If I hear them making a true attempt at mastering more than "please" and "thank you," I will possibly smile and not secretly despise them for their horrible accent.

Don't critisize me for this way of thinking. I am not really spiteful. But go live in a foreign country for a year, and you'll see what I mean. There are others that think the same way I do.

1 comment:

X said...

I, for one, heartily agree. Don't be ashamed of your spite, Laura. Embrace it.