Saturday, June 11, 2005

June Showers

When I said the other day that the rainy season was coming, I seriously didn't think it was going to arrive so soon. After pouring all night and all day, the weather settled down this evening to the infamous Kyoto summer swelter.

Kyoto is situated in a valley, a little pocket where all the hot air gathers still and heavy. Most people avoid this city during the summer not because it is hot, but because it is unbearably humid. I can't wait until the time comes once again when I will take one step outside and immediately be soaked in a combination of the water particles in the air and my own perspiration.

But for now I am sitting in my room trying to accustom my lungs to this extra strain and trying not to think of the bugs breeding in my tatami.

No comments: