Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Something Fishy

Tsukiji is the biggest fish market in the world. There are lots of fish. The most famous are the tuna. Do you know how big a tuna fish is? It's not small.
We slept in, and by the time we got to the market at 6:30am the auction was over, but they were busy buzz sawing the frozen and cutting up the fresh tuna carcasses all over the place. We wandered around staring back at the fish eyes and learning the difference between ink squid and short fin squid.
I think that if I would have seen the fish market four years ago, back when I hated fish, I probably would have been disgusted. As I passed the chunks of tuna meat and beheaded yellowtails today, however, I found myself thinking,"It looks so delicious!" The more fish I saw, the hungrier I became. So, naturally, we stopped off at a nearby sushi restaurant for fresh breakfast.

No comments: