Monday, July 18, 2005

The Yukata Style

Back in the day, all the women in Japan wore kimono. The Western world brought Western clothes, and soon enough only the old women were wearing traditional Japanese clothing. A few years ago, yukata started to come back in style as "the thing to be wearing" at summer festivals and fireworks.

These days, you can walk into any UniQlo (Japan's Old Navy) and buy a yukata, complete with snap on obi, for a mere 3,000 yen (about $30). That is, you can do this if a) you are of Japanese size and height, and b) you don't care that you'll look like everyone else who bought a cheap yukata.

Since I fit into neither category a. nor b., I did the yukata style my own way: I made one. And of course, having spent a good amount of time making such a wonderful piece of clothing, I had to make sure I accessorized it correctly as well. I went all out. Here's what all the Japanese girls and I are wearing:

1. The Yukata: A summer kimono should have a summer pattern - flowers, fireworks, dragonflies. Mine is pink with white cherry blossoms.
2. Geta: Tradional style wooden flip flops. I had to buy the slightly more square-toed men's size because of my big feet.
3. Drawstring handbag: Again, flowers are good. It's better if it's not the same color as your yukata.
4. Floppy silk flower in your hair: Traditionally, there are decorated, dangly pins that one sticks in one's hair, but this year flowers are in.
5. Fan: Regardless of whether it's a folding fan or the one the man on the street is handing out, it should be stuck in your obi - big ones in the back, little ones in the front.

Wearing a yukata for the Gion Matsuri was a great experience. I learned to tie my own obi, and I was completely comfortable walking around in my geta. I didn't get as many stares as I expected, and I was glad about that too. Either the yukata made me blend in, or people in Kyoto are getting used to foreigners doing weird Japanese-like things. I went out two nights in a row, walking around with friends, looking at the floats, and eating festival food. I didn't go to the parade in the morning, and it's a good thing too. I watched a bit on TV, and the people lining the streets did not seem so comfortable packed in and sweating in 90 degree heat.

Anyway, the Gion Matsuri was fun. You can see some of my random pictures here. I tried to get some photos of cute little Japanese kids, because there is nothing cuter than a little kid in a yukata, but it was too dark. Oh well. Enjoy anyway.

No comments: