Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Is there a fourth of July in Japan?

Of course there is. But it isn't accompanied by barbeques, fireworks, beer, and red, white, and blue t-shirts. When I got an invitation to the American Consulate General's Fourth of July Celebration, I thought I might get lucky enough to see an American flag shirt or tie adorning a beer drinking ex-pat. I was mistaken.

In a casual skirt and sandals, I was the least dressed up among the suits, cocktail dresses, and kimonos passing from the seared katsuo steaks to the "Salads of the World." It was either the clothes, the name tag, or the way I bee-lined for the food that kept other guests away while I took full advantage of such a generous offering of delicacies. Whatever the case, I dined in true American style by stuffing myself silly.

Apparently, the national anthem was played before I showed up fashionably late, but I was just in time for a jazz set and a tsugaru shamisen highlight. There were really only two things at this party which I could absolutely say were American.

1. Cold bottles of Sam Adams. Sadly, too few for such a thirsty crowd, but much appreciated by those of us who got our hands on a few bottles.
2. Pecan Pie. Japanese in size, but American in taste.

Hooray for another year of Independence for US.
Hope we can learn to use it more wisely this year than we did last.

No comments: