Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Cost of Being Environmentally Friendly

One thing that usually impresses people when they come to Japan is how orderly and on time everything is. I, too, am a big fan of predictable train and bus arrivals. But lately, I am not too happy about the schedule of my recycle truck.

I was told the garbage truck comes every Tuesday and Friday at 9am. I can safely put my garbage out at 10am and it still gets picked up.

I was told that the recycle truck comes every Wednesday at 8:30am. Every Wednesday for the past three weeks I have tried to recycle unsuccessfully. I go at 8:30am, and the truck has gone. I go at 8:20am, and the truck has gone. I went this morning at 8:15am, and the woman across the street says, "It just left."

If I put the recyclables out the night before, the neighborhood ladies give me evil glares. If I try in the morning, I inevitably fail. I'll try one more time next week, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to start taking my bottles and cans one by one to the convenience store where they have recycling bins that say "Not for household recyclables" sitting right outside.

2 comments:

*MP* said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
*MP* said...

Well, at least you haven't given up. If you would just come live with me, however, you wouldn't have to wait for a truck at all. There's a little room in the basement (no, not outside) where we take our garbage and recycling. See, Boston isn't so bad! There are cute little Japanese people here too.