Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Fun Begins

First class: Wednesday, 10:30am. I'm walking toward the classroom, when the professor steps out of his office. "Ah! Kara! (I don't know why, I have corrected him several times, but the name Laura will not come off his lips). Are you coming to class now? Don't come to this class. Are you free on Monday, second period? Come to that class. There are graduate students I want to introduce you to. We waited for you on Monday, but you didn't come. You signed up for this class? No, no, this class now is no good. Come to my class on Monday. See you then."

Second class: Wednesday, 1:00pm. The Manyoshu. There are 10 students in a room made for 60. The teacher writes a lot on the board and then begins assigning the days when we each do a report for the whole class period. Starting next week. I talk to her after class. "I'm just a research student..." "Oh yes, if there's anything you don't understand, just let me know." And she walks away. I really hope she knows I meant that I do not want to do that report.

Third class: Wednesday, 2:30pm. Intro to Kanbun. There are 30 students in a room made for 20. The teacher talks all period, and then starts making up a sign-in sheet divided into sections for year and department. He stops and looks in my direction. He stares at me a little longer and I realize he wants me to say something. "I'm a research student..." "O h. D o y o u u n d e r s t a n d J a p a n e s e?" No, I just come to class and listen to the pretty syllables and watch you waving your hands. Sheesh.

Fourth class: Friday, 9:00am. Reading old history. Do you remember that guy way back when who did commercials for MicroMachines? The guy who spoke so incredibly fast that you could just barely make out what he was saying? That's how this teacher speaks. Surprisingly, he speech is clear, so I can actually understand what he's saying for the most part. I am impressed with myself. He also uses honorifics and humblers every other sentence. When I told him I might not be capable of doing the project he answered, "I would be greatly honored if you could do me the favor of trying to do the project, but my unworthy self would understand if you do not deem to do so. Please enjoy my humble class." And he bows.

1 comment:

*MP* said...

...and she thinks she's not funny... What is it about genius that is so blind?