Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Beef, it's what's for dinner

I had the famous Kobe steak today for lunch. I had always said I would never pay money for pampered cow, but peer pressure and the craving for beef with more taste than cardboard won over. My friend from Hokkaido instigated it. The rest of us followed him in, gazing uncertainly at the prices on the menu displayed just outside the restaurant door. Luckily, we came for lunch, which reduced our payment by half. I ordered the least expensive set - 120g of filet cut Kobe beef, served with soup, salad, veggies, and a tiny dessert. 4,780 yen. Approximately $50.

The meat was cooked in front of us on a tabletop skillet, the chef taking tender care of each piece. It was cut with precision into small morsels, turned and arranged by his sharp eyes and quick hands, and grilled to perfection. We were instructed in the way to bring out the best of the flavor - a pinch of salt, a speckling of freshly ground pepper, and a light dip into miso and lemon sauce. Delicious.

Would I say this was the best beef I have ever eaten? Probably.
Would I pay for it again? Probably not.

1 comment:

Avatrix said...

I had the opportunity to try Kobe beef myself, at my company christmas party this past December. It was certainly the best beef I have ever eaten, and I wasn't paying for it! Howver, at Fugakyu, I tried the Kobe beef sashimi. Wasn't quite as expensive, but raw and in very thin slices, it simply wasn't nearly as good.