Saturday, January 08, 2005

Winding Down, Winding Up

My winter vacation is winding down. Or winding up. As the time disappears, I scratch my head and wonder exactly where it went. I am trying to remember how I spent my last three weeks, and although I can't particularly remember sitting around doing nothing, I can't really remember doing too much exciting either. I think my head has become filled with two things.

1. I'm moving. Sometime next month. I like the place I'm living, I just don't like where it is. It is actually more expensive for me to live in this cheap, far away place than it will hopefully be to live in someplace closer. I've found a really nice place that I really want to live, but I am waiting for the guy living there to find another place to live. This is nerve-wracking, since I can't know exactly when I'm moving. I'm looking for other places just in case. Let me tell you, it is a pain to find apartments. Does it have a balcony so I can dry my clothes? Does it have an airconditioner so I don't die of heat stroke in the summer? Is the "thank you for letting me move in" fee less than $1000? These are all very important questions. Oh, and there's that really really important question: Does the building accept foreigners? Cause there are quite a few that won't let you move in unless you have Japanese citizenship. Ridiculous.

2. I'm going on a trip. A big one. Well, it was gonna be a big one, until I realized that the only time I could go was over the Chinese New Year, and that severely limits my options. My friend and I have planned a 15 day trip to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and Peking. I'm not gonna tell you how much it's costing me. Let's just say that the experience of traveling around the world cannot be measured in money. This is my philosophy. It's lucky that most hotels in S.E. Asia cost less than $3 a night, and a nice dinner is 25 cents. Really, it's the plane tickets that kill you.

No comments: