Saturday, January 22, 2005

Different Is Good

This country. These people. I am constantly teetering between loving them and wanting to yell at them for their ridiculousness. There are the families who adopt me as a long lost daughter, and there are the landlords who don't accept foreigners. Many people in foreign countries have a vision of quiet, polite Japanese, but it is often said by foreigners living here that the Japanese are tsumetai(cold). I see this contradiction all the time on my frisbee team. Individually, most of them talk to me normally and are nice to me. But it often seems that I am not a part of the actual team. It's not just the frisbee team either, it's in my classes and on the train as well. I often pull out my cell phone and write these posts on the train just to prove that I am not a tourist. And if these high school guys don't stop staring and nudging I'm gonna ask to borrow some of their comics...

No comments: