Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Happy Christmas

After months of searching, I have finally decided on my favorite Japanese television drama for the season. It's called "Last Christmas," and you can guess what the theme song is. The story is really not all that great, nor is the main actor amazingly attractive, but it's the best I could find. It's about a man and a woman who live next door to each other and work at the same company. They fall in love, of course, and on yesterday's show, she found out she has a fatal disease. Oh what will happen next?! Yes, yes, very predictable, but really, Japanese TV isn't good enough for me to find much else to be excited about watching. The really big downfall of watching this show is that the theme song gets stuck in my head for incredibly long periods of time. It doesn't help that the supermaket, the department store, and the convience store are all playing it whenever I go in. And of course, it being in English means it rattles around in my brain even longer than a Japanese song would.

Speaking of Christmas, it's all over here. I noticed, though, that nothing is ever "Merry Christmas." It is all "Happy Christmas." I think it's because the word "happy" has made it into the average Japanese person's vocabulary, but "merry" has not. I was thinking of buying a small Christmas tree. I can get a fake little two foot tall one for about ten dollars. Is it worth it? Maybe I'll just buy a couple strings of Christmas lights and decorate my room. I'll have to think about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you bring the Christmas tree your "grandma" made you???