Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Forget-the-year Parties

The holiday season is officially upon me. Starting last Friday in a span of ten days, I will have attended no less than six Christmas/End of Year parties. I've already dealt with two.

The first was a Christmas party thrown by Dave and Katie. We all invited Japanese friends so that they too could experience the joys of eggnog, christmas cookies, christmas songs, and reindeer antlers. Amazingly, we managed to fit about sixteen people into Dave's small apartment. I think someone took a picture of the mountain of shoes in the genkan (entryway). It was a nice opportunity to talk to a few of the frisbee team members away from practice, and meet lots of students from other universities. Katie made excellent appetizers, Dave's eggnog was delicious, and every single one of the guests brought some sort of dessert-like food with them. It was such a good party that we didn't even have to resort to playing Kings.

The second party was the Mukaijima Gakusei Center's Christmas/Year End BIG PARTY, as they called it. I helped out all week with decorations and preparations. Some people cooked foods from their countries, and the boss of the building offered free whiskey. I was also roped into doing the unthinkable; I performed. I made the mistake of telling my koto teacher that people could volunteer to do some sort of performance at the party, and all of a sudden, I was signed up. So my teacher and I played a nice duet, some people listened and others didn't, but I got through with only making one decently large mistake, that of course, no one heard. The other performers were: an Indian dance, a Peruvian dance, some Latin American music, some popular guitar music, and a Korean song. After the performances we played Bingo, and both Katie and Dave won a huge box of instant ramen. The dance party followed. Fortunately, it wasn't as popular as the Halloween party, so I managed to get to bed by 2am. Whew. As we say in Japanese "Tsukareta" I'm tired.

No comments: