Thursday, May 12, 2005

There are no noise pollution laws in Japan

Every morning at 8am the "we collect your paper, cardboard, and old newspapers" truck comes around. Every morning it drives back and forth, up and down the winding streets of my neighborhood for hours. How do I know? Because it plays a song. Thirty seconds of a whistling tune, a chorus of "give us your paper!" and a woman politely introducing this extremely convenient service. Thirty seconds repeated for two hours. The dogs bark, I cry, and it never stops. Not once have I ever seen (or heard) it pause.

I have learned to deal with this every morning, but it is now 4:50pm and I hear it just down the street. If it passes my house someone had better restrain me, because if a brick thrown to knock out that speaker is the only thing that restores to me my peaceful afternoon, then so be it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, I am living the same kind of thing right now, the guy saling some food out of a small truck, he is playing the same 1 minute song, over and over ...my baby keep wking up from his nap...what can I do about it ??!
I am going to get crazy, cause when it's not this guy, it's the one selling his potatoes, then it's the trash truck, then the Family Mart trucks even at night !!