Thursday, May 19, 2005

Perspectives

The reason I haven't posted anything for the past couple of days is that nothing interesting has been happening. Normal days filled with homework, TV, eating, sleeping, and riding my bike. Yes, there was a small festival yesterday, and yes, I paid large amounts of money for a train ticket today, but these are really not exciting to me.

And then I realized as I was walking down the street that the things I see here as totally normal probably look completely strange to visitors. I have been trying to think lately where I am going to take my first-time-to-Japan visiting friends when they come, and it is so difficult. What was it like when I first came here almost three years ago? What did I think was completely unbelievable, incredibly weird, and just downright wrong? I have forgotten. I have integrated myself into the society. I have grown immune to the idea of crazy hairstyles, Japanese drivers, bike traffic, and bowing. Japan is not a scary country, Japan is a second home.

No comments: