Thursday, October 21, 2004

Mild-Mannered Kyoto

Sadly, the typhoon was not as exciting as I wanted it to be. Yes, there was massive amounts of rain, excessively strong winds, and this one peal of thunder that lasted, I'm not kidding, for at least 45 seconds. But Kyoto is pretty protected by mountains and fairly well drained, so we didn't get any dramatics. There were no mudslides, no floods, old people did not have to be evaculated, cars did not drift by in chest deep water, and other than the Shinkansen, trains did not stop. I guess we were lucky, seeing that all of that and much more happened in quite a few places around Japan. My mother says they showed all the really bad stuff on the news in the States. Don't worry, nothing exciting/dangerous ever happens in Kyoto. Besides, even if it did, I live on the 6th floor of a huge cement building; nothing is gonna move this thing.

The only good thing that came of this was that school was cancelled. Unlike the US where college is only cancelled when hell gets a bit of frost, Japanese schools are a little more reasonable. Besides, when most of your students are commuters, you need to make sure they can get home safely. Anyway, this class cancelling thing wasn't all that great for me, since I only had one class. I came in, checked my email, and 10 minutes before class was supposed to start, they cancelled it, so I went home. Basically a waste of my time.

But there is always next time, as I hear that Typhoon 24 is already on it's way!

No comments: