Thursday, October 28, 2004

Cold and the Absence of Heat

All of a sudden it is cold. One day of rain and the temperature plummeted. It's really not so bad when I am riding my bike (except for the freezing hands) or walking energetically, but there are instances when I wonder why Japan does not have central heating?

For instance, when I woke up this morning and could see my breath in my room.
Or during my Chinese Buddhism class, when my nose nearly froze off after thirty minutes, and I still had an hour to go.

I used to wonder why the Japanese were so fond of the ofuro (bath) in the evening. But now I know. If you shower and then sit in a tub of hot water for a half and hour and then get into your pajamas and go to bed, you are comfortablyy warm as you go to sleep, despite the freezing temperatures around you. Despite the fact that my gas bill will probably rise drastically, I think that I too will begin this practice on a regular basis.

Oh! And my electric carpet is now comfortably situated on my floor. It is wonderful. For a mere 4000 yen (approx. $40), I have a carpet that entirely covers my floor and at the push of a button, warms my oshiri! (guess..) There are so many electric warming objects in Japan. Electric carpets, blankets, pillows, and tables are the most poplular items. I don't quite understand; one of the main reasons there is no central heating is that the energy costs too much, yet they buy all these electric things that have to cost a decent amount to use. I guess the difference is that all of those are only turned on when you are cold, unlike central heating which runs all the time.

No comments: