Sunday, September 04, 2005

Unable to Process your Request

I've been getting quite a few requests for things to be brought back from Japan. This is great because I love to bring things back for people and it makes it so much easier when they tell me just what they want. The problem is "just what they want" has fallen into horribly vague categories.

For example, "I really liked the rice snacks you sent me once." Rice snacks being the operative description for 85% of all snacks produced and eaten in Japan. Senbei, rice crackers with seaweed, with sesame, seasoned, unseasoned, shaped like bugles, circular, spicy, shrimp-flavored, soup flavored, mixed with dried beans, mixed with little dried fish, go well with beer, taste good on a long train ride...Is it that they are so mysterious that a detailed explanation is impossible? Or am I asking too much of my non-Japanese reading friends?

I am more than happy to bring things back for whoever asks, in fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that half of my luggage will probably end up being gifts for people. So please, request as much as you like. Just be aware that if you can't give me the name, the shape, and the color of the packaging, you may not be getting exactly what you asked for.

No comments: