Monday, September 12, 2005

Sayonara Sale

Today I had my last lunch with the last of the Kyoto Fulbrighters. Katie and Dave leave tomorrow for adventures in South East Asia, and I leave for home.

I'm kind of in a weird position when it comes to leaving. My friends have all been dealing with packing, massive accumulation of things, turning of utilites, closing out accounts, etc. In all fairness, I should be doing these things too. But no, my house and all the things in it will stay as they are. I have closed no bank accounts, I have not boxed up one item.

The fact that I am coming back fairly soon makes the job of leaving quite easy for me. In a sense, I guess it makes it easier for my friends too, who can dump off all the stuff they can't take back with them at my house. As my house is already a suppository of years of left behinds, a little more can't hurt! And so I gained bookshelves, a kotatsu, dishes, cleaning supplies, food, plants, books, and all sorts of randomness. So while everyone else is busy packing, I am busy sorting out what they gave me.

I think it's odd for all our friends too. It is highly unlikely that they will see Katie and Dave again anytime in the next two years, but I'll be back in two months. And yet, we're leaving at the same time.

Anyway, this is a meandering post, as it reflects a meandering thought process: I'm leaving, but I'm not. I'm packing, but not too much. I'm bringing presents, but if I forgot something, there will be chances for more. I want to go to my favorite places "one last time," but I doubt they will have gone out of business by the time I get back. It's an odd feeling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sup·pos·i·to·ry
A small plug of medication designed to melt at body temperature within a body cavity other than the mouth.

re·pos·i·to·ry
1. A place where things may be put for safekeeping.
2. A warehouse.

Laura said...

The trade off for increased Japanese ablitity is that your brain becomes confused and you begin to use words in English that would make you embarrassed under normal circumstances.

*MP* said...

Aren't siblings great? Especially when they have amazing editing ablitity?