Thursday, August 18, 2005

Not A Day Goes By

1. I went to the beach down in Kobe today. It was wonderful. The Japanese lifeguards, I mean "Surf Patrol," were wearing speedos and those little tri-colored hats with the whirl-gigs on top, only without the whirlygigs. There will be pictures later.

2. I got back to find a visitor waiting in my room. I gecko had come to visit. It does not bother me that there was a gecko in my room. It bothers me that he was able to get in here.

3. Leslie sent me a very sobering email. The world has lost one of it's greatest proponents for peace, especially peace among religions. Brother Roger, the founder of Taize, an ecumencial Christian community in rural France founded to promote dialogue and understanding, was stabbed to death while attending evening prayer service. Read about it here.

I have been to Taize twice and met with Brother Roger both times. I cannot express how how disturbing it is that this quiet old man who commanded such a presence and yet brought such a sense of peace could be murdered. I am just glad that his last moments were in the church he built surrounded by the people who loved him.

No comments: