Sunday, August 21, 2005

From Fear to Food

When I was a child I dreaded swimming in an ocean or lake with seaweed. If there were slimy plants around that could potentially brush up against my leg, I wanted no part of it.

But there must be something about living in a country that values seaweed as a food product that has changed my perception.
I'm swimming in the ocean, and a large piece of seaweed floats by. I reach out and grab it.

"Wakame!"
"It looks so tasty."
"It's like we're in a giant bowl of miso soup."
"We should dry it out and take it back as a gift."
"If we're floating in miso soup, I'm the tofu: bright white!"
"Are you getting hungry?"

P.S. As I write this, I am munching on pieces of dried Korean seaweed. So delicious!

2 comments:

Christopher Trottier said...

I agree. Seaweed is damn delicious.

*MP* said...

It seems like a lot of 'food' from Japan has that effect of people. Some of it is pretty darn scary looking.