Thursday, September 30, 2004

News from the 3rd Floor Kyoshitsu

So I went up to the kyoshitsu (study space/computer lab) today to update my website and send some emails. I inserted my USB drive, uploaded my pictures, and turned off the drive. I then proceeded to pull it of the computer, but it was stuck. So very stuck, in fact, that three students, a library worker, and I could not figure out how to get it out. Soon a little group of five or six of us were gathered around the CPU, staring at it, scratching our heads, and seeing if just one more pull might get it out. The girls at the computer next to us were staring and giggling, all the assistants at one time or another came to help, and I'm sure we drew the attention of most of the students studying in the room.

Finally, the computer teachers were called in. They unplugged everything and performed surgery on that poor computer right there on an empty table. With much avail, a screwdriver, and some good luck, my USB drive finally came out, apparently unscathed by such a process.

It was determined that my USB port has two little indents on the backside, which is contrary to the one indent on the Japanese USB mouse offered for comparison. This may or may not have caused the problem, but either way, I believe I will be using my USB drive much less in Japan than I had originally thought.

No comments: