Thursday, September 23, 2004

Mukaijima- Suburb of a Suburb

I have moved into my mansion! No, not a luxuriously large house, but an apartment in a concrete high-rise building. The former is the US definition of the word, the latter, of course, is the way it is here in Japan.

As my address listed to your right suggests, I am living in somewhat institutional housing in what is considered International student housing. I have my own apartment, complete with kitchen, bathroom, and way too much furniture for my liking in an area about the size of a decent sized dorm room. But, I have a balcony! And although my view overlooks a tennis court and a few more mansion buildings, it at least provides a good breeze and some nice light.

I live in an area called Mukaijima, which is basically a suburb of Fushimi, which is a suburb of Kyoto city. Mukaijima is filled mostly with mansion buildings, so it is not what you would call a pretty area, but there is ample shopping in walking and bicycling distance. And I have been taking full advantage of said shopping areas; I believe I have spent close to three hundred dollars in two days...

No comments: