Friday, February 04, 2005

Powder

I have just completed three days of amazing skiing in Niseko, Hokkaido. My skiing friends say I have now been spoiled for skiing anywhere else-the conditions were that good. My experience went something like this:
Day 1: Staying on the greens(easy) remembering what I learned the first time and getting used to the powder snow.
Day 2: Tried some reds(intermediate) and became frustrated at my inability to turn or stop while going fast. Fell too many times, but the snow was so soft that the only injury I got was a bruised thumb from when I hit myself flailing.
Day 3: Miraculously figured out how to ski and spent the entire day in the reds and occasionly an ungroomed. I even went over a few hilly jumpy things. I really didn't want to leave.
Overall, I had a great time. The place we stayed was cozy and friendly. There were tons of Australians everywhere. And I learned to ski with a decent amount of skill. Now it's off to my friend's house and Sapporo!

No comments: