Friday, February 04, 2005

Facts and Opinions

It is very easy for me to forget that there are people who know nothhng about Japan. Or people whose views about this country are decidedly different. I met an Australian who, upon hearing that I lived here, asked what other Japanese thought of Hokkaido. To hin, it is a perfect place filled with friendly people. He can't imagine anyone thinking differently. And there were people on the shuttle bus talking about the fish market they went to in Tokyo, "There were all sorts of things I would never eat. I think some of hem are used as aphrodesiacs." What!? It shocks me every time when I hear people's opinions about things that have become commonplace in my life. How can they not know the truth of these things? But then I realize that I have been lucky to experience the whole of Japanese culture in real life, and they are only presented with glimpses from movies and scenes from tour bus windows. Come visit me for a while. I'll show you what the real Japan is like.

No comments: