Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Awkward Pauses

I have now met up with approximately twenty friends from my life before Japan. It's sad, but I can judge just how good of friends we were from the ensuing conversations. Of twenty:

Three wanted to hear everything. It was just like I had never neglected to email them for a year.
Five wanted to hear highlights and to ensure that I was happy.
Ten were satisfied with the "How was Japan?" "Great!" exchange.
And two had to be reminded I was in the room.

But there were others who also surprised me with the sincerity of their remarks, despite the brevity. There's nothing like time away to put life and friends in perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help but ask...which friend am I? Or did I make the list. Sorry, can't help but wonder.

Laura said...

I didn't meet you in person, therefore, you did not make the list. Maybe I should make a seperate list for email/phone conversation friends. In which case, you would be in the prestigious "left the bar for a phone call from me" category.